‘The aim is a title’ – Woollaston ends Selby hopes at Championship League
Ben Woollaston finished with breaks of 78 and 127 as he defeated four-time world champion Mark Selby 3-1 to reach the Championship League last 32.
Selby made two half-century breaks against his fellow Leicester professional at the city’s Morningside Arena, but world No. 42 Woollaston never trailed after opening with a fine run of 69 in their Group 3 decider.
Selby began his day with a 3-1 victory against James Cahill – the Blackpool player who regained his tour card at Q School last month – in compiling knocks of 54, 55, 113 and 58 with Cahill responding with 65 of his own in the second frame.
Selby set to return after rare trophyless campaign
17 HOURS AGO
Further breaks of 50 and 55 saw him despatch Zhang Jiankang 3-0, but Woollaston bettered those results with two 3-0 victories against Zhang and Cahill, contributing three 50-plus runs.
He only required a point against Selby to progress and finished strongly to claim maximum nine points with the world No. 3 – who was last month awarded an MBE for services to snooker – forced to settle for second spot in the section at the season’s first ranking event.
“I played really well, surprisingly. I knew the last match was going to be difficult going up against Mark, he only missed one ball all game, but I managed to play well too,” said Woollaston.
“I just tried to get on with it when I had chances and clear up. I’ve not played much in the off-season, I’ve played for about two weeks for one or two hours a day, so it was a surprise to be as sharp as I was out there.
I’d love to get back into the top 32 again this season, and the aim every season is to win a title.
Elliot Slessor completed a 3-1 win over Welsh Open champion Joe Perry to top Group 23 that included a knock of 60 in the third frame.
Slessor also enjoyed a 3-1 win over Lukas Kleckers and made breaks of 79 and 67 in a 2-2 draw with 2007 Welsh Open finalist Andrew Higginson.
Perry had earlier hit 117 in a 3-0 triumph against Kleckers and drew 2-2 with Higginson, but could not get the point he needed to deny Slessor top spot.
- ‘It felt good to be out there’ – O’Sullivan hits first century of season in stunning return
- ‘That was outrageous’ – O’Sullivan produces stunning pot in winning return
- Championship League fixtures/results
Latest Championship League group winners
- Group 24: Robert Milkins (Eng)
- Group 13: Aaron Hill (Ire)
- Group 4: Zhao Xintong (Chn)
- Group 31: Anthony Hamilton (Eng)
- Group 6: Michael Judge (Ire)
- Group 26: Chris Wakelin (Eng)
- Group 10: Luca Brecel (Bel)
- Group 29: Lu Ning (Chn)
- Group 1: Ronnie O’Sullivan (Eng)
- Group 27: Jamie Jones (Wal)
- Group 15: Ricky Walden (Eng)
- Group 32: Xiao Guodong (Chn)
- Group 9: Yuan Sijun (Chn)
- Group 30: Lyu Haotian (Chn)
- Group 3: Ben Woollaston (Eng)
- Group 23: Elliot Slessor (Eng)
‘Perfect event’ – Walden makes solid start to new season
YESTERDAY AT 08:57
‘It felt good to be out there’ – O’Sullivan hits first century of season in stunning return
05/07/2022 AT 10:26